Salsa roja recipe
You can support the making of these videos and get early access and downloadable PDF copies of the recipes by becoming an FGV patron – click here.
Here’s the recipe!
Makes approximately two cups/serves four
- 3 Roma tomatoes
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1⁄4 of a large white onion
- 1 green chile
- A fist sized bunch of fresh cilantro/coriander
- Salt to taste
- Heat a large, heavy frying pan on medium heat do not use oil
- Halve the tomatoes lengthways and place them face down in the frying pan
- Peel the garlic cloves and place them in the pan together with the chile* and onion
- Roast the vegetables in the pan, turning occasionally, until they are nicely browned all over
- Place the roasted vegetables in a blender with the cilantro/coriander and a pinch of salt
- Pulse for about 10 seconds until well blended, but not completely smooth
*Remove the seeds from the chile if you don’t want your Salsa Roja too spicy!
Serve on its own with tortilla chips or use it as a topping for your favourite dishes. Salsa Roja is often served together with Salsa Verde and Guacamole as the standard condiments with a Mexican meal.
Recipe and photo remain property of Sean O’Callaghan and Julio Alcantara and may not be reproduced without permission. © 2016 fatgayvegan.com