A perfect pancake topping recipe
In celebration of Pancake Day (Tuesday 5th March 2019), Fentimans has devised a gin and tonic pancake drizzle, using their Valencian Orange Tonic Water, for home-bakers to liberally douse on their choice of pancakes.
With the help of Holly Jade, aka The Little Blog of Vegan, Fentimans has transformed its botanically brewed Valencian Orange Tonic Water into a zesty pancake syrup.
Reminiscent of both the French classic Crepes Suzette and a refreshing citrusy G&T, the drizzle combines Fentimans Valencian Orange Tonic Water with orange juice, fresh orange zest and gin. It can easily be whipped up at home thanks to a simple and easy to follow recipe (below) and then poured over fluffy pancakes or delicate crepes. A unique alternative to the usual chocolate spread, sugar or golden syrup.
See the recipe below:
- 140ml of Fentimans Valencian Orange Tonic Water
- 1 tbsp Gin of choice
- 200ml of Orange Juice (add extra if consistency is too thick)
- Zest of 2 large oranges (optional)
- 200g of golden caster sugar
- 4.5 tbsp corn starch
- Pinch of salt
- Add all ingredients into a saucepan
- Heat over medium – high heat until boiling, stirring constantly (around 5-8 minutes, it should thicken and turn clear)
- Remove from the heat and set aside into a heat proof bowl. If consistency is too thick, add extra orange juice at this stage and stir through
- Store in the fridge once cooled