Vegan pub food by the seaside
Fancy a trip to the seaside but worried about finding vegan food to devour?
The answer is The Railway Hotel in Southend-on-Sea.
I have been hearing excited chatter about The Railway Hotel for a couple of years, but it was only today that I visited their website to see what they had on offer for plant-based pub-goers.
Check out this amazing list of vegan dishes lifted from their Spring 2016 menu:
- Handmade pizza/calzones
- Crass Burger (mixed bean/veg) with Chips/Wedges and salad
- Falafel wrap + Sundried & Peppers + Chips/Wedges & Salad
- Wild Mushroom Risotto with Truffle Oil
- Aromatic Thai Tofu Curry with sticky Rice
- “Ham”, Leak & Cheese Pie with Mash, Root Veg & Gravy
- “Fish” & Chips with Pea Puree & Tartare Sauce
- Bowl of Homemade Chips and dips
- Garlic Bread
- Wedges with Chilli Dip
- Dough Balls with Garlic Mayo
- Pear and Apricot Cheese Cake
- Apple Tart
- Chocolate Calzone
The vegan choices make up about 99% of the menu, so it would be fantastic to see the hotel take that last little leap to having a completely plant-based menu.
Everything sounds scrumptious and I think I will have to make this place one of my first stops when I get back to the UK later in the year.
You can get directions to The Railway Hotel on their website and you can follow them on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
I went once years ago and was very disappointed with a wobbly table, uninterested staff and calzone with raw dough on the inside. Hopefully they’ve improved since then!