Newcastle vegan restaurant expanding
A wonderful, pioneering vegan café is looking to expand in size and vision but they need our collective strength to do it.
The Painted Elephant is a cosy eatery perched in Newcastle city centre. They serve mouthwatering savoury food and ever since it opened, the restaurant has served as a vital hub for the vegan community in the city. The owners even allowed me to bring live music into their gorgeous venue when I passed through with my Vegan Roadshow.
Amazingly, it is the only 100% vegan restaurant in Newcastle.
The owners of The Painted Elephant have done an exceptional job to not only keep a fledgling restaurant open, but to also make it thrive. It now enjoys a solid following of regular diners that allows the restaurant to pay its overheads, but the plans for expansion are going to need a bit extra.
The owners need to raise £20,000 in order to move on with their plans, which include creating:
- gourmet vegan food powered by local farmers and producers with a weekly changing, seasonal menu and low food mileage
- a licensed bar serving infused liquors made from our excess fruits and herbs – nothing wasted
- home grown herbs and salads cut for the plate
- handmade vegan cheese on the menu and available to purchase and take home
- all food waste composted to grow more deliciousness
- locally foraged ingredients
- regular themed tasting menu events with many-coursed meals, themed music and decor
- great alternative music
- up-cycled decor by local artisans
What the money will pay for:
- the deposit and a couple of months rent on the new property (separate kitchen and bar area, possibly multiple floors!) to get them started – they’re looking at some of the beautiful railway arches near central station
- a kitchen made from refurbished appliances and up-cycled fittings
- growing and composting equipment, including an almost-instant (3 hour) composter for all food waste
- paint and wall hangings
- plumbing of sinks, etc
- beautiful plates, glasses, crockery and more from UK artisans and small businesses
- creation of new jobs for the local vegan community
This is our chance to support an independent business, help them grow, watch them support local fruit/vegetable producers and celebrate as they create strength, jobs and security in their community.
This is an important campaign and an incredible chance for you to be a part of something very special. Keep a 100% vegan business independent, help people in Newcastle have a vegan centre they can be proud of and, most importantly, save the lives of animals by giving the northeast a truly compassionate alternative.
Click here now to donate to the expansion campaign and help make The Painted Elephant an even more integral part of Newcastle’s vegan scene.