Make delicious champurrado
You can support the making of recipe videos such as this, plus all of the other outreach and vegan support work done by Fat Gay Vegan, by supporting on Patreon.
11⁄2 litres water
1 cinnamon stick
150g Mexican chocolate or any dark cooking chocolate 50g tortilla masa*
200g of piloncillo or another dark brown sugar
*If you can’t buy fresh tortilla masa, make it yourself using the recipe here.
- Crush the piloncillo sugar and place it in a large saucepan
- Add the chocolate, cinnamon stick and water
- Bring to a simmer over a medium-high heat
- While the mixture is coming to a simmer, combine the tortilla masa with a bit of water until well mixed
- Add the masa mixture to the saucepan, using a sieve to filter out any lumps
- Stir well and continue simmering for another 5-10 minutes while the mixture thickens, stirring occasionally
This is perfect for a chilly, rainy evening. For a creamier version, use a plant-based milk instead of water.
Recipe and photo remain property of Sean O’Callaghan and Julio Alcantara and may not be reproduced without permission. © fatgayvegan.com
I’d love to try this, but not sure what tortilla masa is, and there’s no link to the recipe. Could you please add this? Thank you!