How to: FGV popcorn
A few days a go I posted some photos on my Instagram account of the best popcorn I have ever made. It garnered such a positive response online (and then again when I served it at London Vegan Potluck) that I have been compelled to share my secrets with you.
Wanna eat popcorn like a fat, gay vegan? Read on.
If you visit my blog often, you will be aware that I am not one for sharing recipes. It’s not my thing. The majority of my own food creations are random experiments and the dishes that work out OK or better end up on Twitter and Instagram.
With that disclaimer out of the way, the measurements below are more of a rough guide. It will be up to you to find the right balance for your taste.
How to: FGV’s Spicy Cheesy Popcorn
- Combine in a bowl/cup 4 tablespoons of nutritional yeast, 1 heaped teaspoon of chipotle powder, 1 tablespoon of pink Himalayan salt and 2 teaspoons of garlic powder.
- Grind all of the ingredients into a fine powder. The trick is to get the nutritional yeast as powder-like as possible, making it easier for it to stick to your hot popcorn. A pestle and mortar will get the job done in under a minute.
- Cook your popcorn as per instructions. This recipe will only work for popcorn cooked in hot oil as the moisture and heat of the the freshly popped corn will allow the dry ingredients to stick.
- As soon as the popcorn is cooked, empty it into a large bowl and sprinkle with half of your ground topping. Cover your bowl with a large dinner plate or lid and shake vigourously. This will disperse the topping evenly.
- Remove cover, sprinkle remainder of topping onto the popcorn, cover and repeat the shaking process.
- Sit down and eat like a fat, gay vegan.