Wholewheat pasta with lentils recipe
I am trying to get into more nutritious cooking at home and it’s like learning a new skill from scratch.
Yes, I can cook but I haven’t been very focussed on cooking for health. Ive been more of an instant gratification kind of fellow.
But a recent high cholesterol warning from my doctor has me trying to take control of my carb, salt, and sugar intake. Yes, a vegan can have high cholesterol if their diet is not balanced and does not lean towards whole foods.
If you want to see some of my creations, be sure to follow my Instagram account where I will be sharing some of my homemade recipes.
Like this one:
Penne with Beluga Lentils, Spinach, and Leeks (serves one)
- 100g uncooked wholemeal penne pasta (1 cup)
- 100g frozen spinach (1 cup)
- 100g fresh leeks, sliced (1 cup)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 100g cooked beluga lentils (1/2 cup)
- 1/2 tsp chipotle powder
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp five spice powder
- 1 tsp sesame seeds, for garnish
- Cook the penne pasta according to package instructions until al dente. Drain and set aside.
- In a large pan, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the sliced leeks and sauté for 2-3 minutes, until they begin to soften.
- Add the frozen spinach to the pan and continue to sauté until the spinach is heated through and any excess water has evaporated.
- Add the garlic powder, cooked beluga lentils, chipotle powder, lime juice, apple cider vinegar, and five spice powder to the pan. Stir to combine and cook for another 2-3 minutes to allow the flavors to meld together.
- Add the cooked penne pasta to the pan and toss to combine with the lentil and spinach mixture.
- Sprinkle sesame seeds over the top of the dish as a garnish before serving.
An Instagram follower suggested adding the lime juice and apple cider vinegar after removing the mix from the heat. Apparently heating the acids too much can make them taste bitter.
I’m all for these cooking tips. I’m on this journey to learn, so the more tips the better. Get involved in the comments if you have anything to add!
for some reason your posts disappeared from my emails and now they have suddenly returned,,,,good stuff.