How many vegans in Great Britain?
An email popped up today from The Vegan Society with the following information:
Dietary vegans in Great Britain 542,000
Lifestyle vegans in Great Britain 360,000
The Vegan Society have reported that a survey was carried out earlier this year across England, Wales and Scotland by a professional survey company and the findings determined those are the ‘ballpark’ figures of the number of vegans in Great Britain.
The Vegan Society have extrapolated further findings from the research and have highlighted the following:
- The results show that well over one and a half million people are vegetarian or vegan.
- Over half a million people follow a vegan diet.
- More than a third of a million avoid all animal products. That includes food, clothing and other products.
- Over half a million vegetarians are looking to reduce their consumption of animal products.
- There are approaching a million vegetarians and vegans who avoid leather, wool and other animal fibres.
- There are almost twice as many women than men who are vegan.
- Of all vegans 42% are in the 15-34 age group compared to only 14% of those over 65.
- 88% of all vegans live in urban areas against 12% who live in rural areas.
There is apparently more detailed analysis published on the charity’s website but the link was not working for me, so please do share in the comments if you find a functioning link to the full facts and figures.