Gorgeous refried beans recipe
You can support the making of these videos and get early access and downloadable PDF copies of the recipes by becoming an FGV patron – click here.
Here’s the recipe:
Makes approximately two cups/serves four
- 1 cup of cooked beans*
- 1 small green chile, de-seeded and copped
- 1⁄2 cup of liquid from cooked beans or tinned beans 1⁄2 cup of freshly chopped epazote**
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- Salt to taste
*You can use tinned beans to save time but save some of the liquid when you drain them
** If you cannot find fresh epazote, used dried but see note below.
- Heat a large frying pan and add the oil
- Add chopped chile and fry for about 30 seconds
- Add cooked beans and the liquid
- If using dried epazote, add now
- Mash the beans over a medium heat
- Continue to cook for a couple of minutes while stirring
- Add a pinch of salt
- If using fresh epazote, add it at the end and stir through
- ¡Buen provecho!
Serve in tacos, enchiladas, taquitos, tortas or simply with rice.
Recipe and photo remain property of Sean O’Callaghan and Julio Alcantara and may not be reproduced without permission. © fatgayvegan.com